Paddle for Almonte General Hospital
Canada Day, July 1st, 2017
Raft Race Package
Registration Deadline: Extended to Friday, June 30
Paddle for AGH is a family celebration, which combines Canada Day (150th anniversary), paddling the Mississippi River in Almonte and raising funds for the Almonte General Hospital. There are five different paddling events to choose from including the Raft Race. Please scroll down for information about the canoe, kayak and paddle board events.
The object of this event is to assemble a raft on the Almonte Fairgrounds site and, with a crew of four persons, paddle the raft across the Mississippi River, turn around a buoy and return.
The day’s events and activities will bring our community together to celebrate, have fun and raise funds in support of new Diagnostic Imaging equipment at the Almonte General Hospital. Crews are asked to set a high goal for their fund-raising efforts. Registration Fee: $100. Registrants are encouraged to raise money through collecting pledges. Win prizes and receive incentives for raising funds.
Raft Decoration and Crew Costumes
Prizes will be awarded to the crew with the most creatively designed, and most extravagantly decorated vessel. As well there will be prizes for the crews with the most elaborate theme-based costuming.
PRIZES (Awarded above and beyond pledge incentives)
- 1st, second and third fastest raft
- Top Fundraiser Individuals – 1st, 2nd & 3rd
- Top Fundraising Teams – 1st, 2nd & 3rd
- Most Original Raft Design - 1st, 2nd & 3rd
- Most Elaborate Theme-based Costumes – 1st, 2nd & 3rd
The Fairgrounds open at 6 a.m. Crews may bring materials and tools through the fairgrounds gate closest to Bridge Street and begin assembling their rafts.
Crews have from 6-9 a.m. to build their vessel. They are encouraged to meet ahead of race day to carefully design their craft, choose their materials, and strategize building the raft in the three hour allotted time frame. Parts should pre-cut and ready to assemble as the only power tool allowed on site will be a screwdriver/drill. Preassembly of the raft before race day is not allowed. Only four crew members may be involved in building the raft.
All crews must have gone through check-in and rafts must be in place in the marshaling area by 9 a.m. Raft Races begins at 9:30 am.
Please note there is no power available on site. The only power tools permitted are cordless, battery-operated impact drivers/drills.
The fairgrounds will open and check in is at 6 a.m. Please arrive in plenty of time to assemble your raft. Please note, free admission extends to your four crew members. As this is a fundraiser for our hospital, all others are asked to make a donation as the entrance fee ($5). Enter via the entrance closest to Bridge Street. There will be parking attendants on site to assist you.
Park your vehicle . Go to check-in desk located near the beach. At check-in you will receive a recording sheet that you will take to the Chief Marshaling Officer (CMO) who will assign you a build site. The CMO will keep your recording sheet.
Unload tools and materials from your vehicle and carry them to your build site.
Start building. Remember that anyone operating a a tool, must be wearing safety goggles. You have until 9 a.m.
Upon completion of your raft, send one member of your crew to the CMO.
The CMO will instruct you to move your raft to the correct spot in the marshaling area. All teams must report back to the CMO by 8:45 a.m. and in the marshaling area by 9 a.m.
All crew must have their life jackets/PFDs on in the marshaling area.
The starter ill tell you to move your craft forward to the starting line.
The race starts when the starter blows an air horn.
The crew pulls the raft off the beach and into the water in their lane.
The crew must be on the raft before the embark line.
The crew propels the craft forward, makes a turn around the last buoy and returns to the disembark line, pulls the raft out of the water, across the beach.
Only one crew member is required to touch their lane pylon, but that crew member must be in contact with the raft.
Raft Design Specification
Must be able to support the weight of the 4 crewmembers.
May take any shape and be constructed of any material, but a commercial vessel may not be part of the design.
Must float throughout the duration of the race. Commercial paddles are acceptable.
Must be powered by human muscles.
May use non-motorized devices that give mechanical advantage.
The entire crew must be on the raft at all points after the embark line at the start of the race and before the disembark line on the return leg.
1. There is a $100 limit on new building materials.
2. A cordless screwdriver/drill is the only power tool that will be allowed on site. Parts may be precut off site, but no preassembly is allowed.
3. Everyone on the build site must be wearing safety goggles. Spectators are not allowed on the build site but may watch from a distance..
4. All crews must wear a lifejacket or PFD rated for the size of participant.
5. There must be at least 4 crewmembers per raft.
6. The crew must be on the raft at all times after the embark line is crossed at the start of the race and up until the disembark line is crossed on the return leg.
7. A team will be disqualified for intentionally attempting to scuttle another vessel or dislodge a crewmember.
8. The winner is the first crew to touch the pylon on the beach. The three fastest rafts will receive prizes.
9. All teams are responsible for transporting their materials to the fairgrounds and thoroughly cleaning up after themselves following the event.
Registration Fee: $100 total per raft team (To be collected in pledges)
Fundraising Incentives (All pledge incentives are cumulative and provided to an individual for the amount of pledges collected)
· Collect $75 – receive a Paddle for AGH limited edition T-shirt
· Collect $100 – receive a Paddle for AGH limited edition Ball Cap
· Collect $150 – a $10 gift card from Lee Valley Tools
· Collect $200 – a $20 gift card from Lee Valley Tools
· Collect $300 – receive a $50 gift card from Lee Valley Tools
How to Register:
In order to registration, you must have:
- Name of team
- Name of vessel
- Name of organization (if applicable)·
- Phone #
- Email address
- Crew Captain/Contact Person
- Phone #
- Email address
- All crew members’ names, phone #s and email addresses.
Phone: 613-256-2500 ext. 2296
Note: All crewmembers must sign a waiver form.